Monday, December 26, 2016

The Week or Two Before Christmas


We had a busy last two weeks before Christmas with moving from our apartment into a house- BEST Christmas present ever- and with school parties and end of school events. 

We got the keys to our Fairway house in Plum Creek on Thurs. Dec. 15th and started moving that same day- we were soooo ready. It was hard not having TJ until Saturday to help move stuff but we did what we could. The first night we were there the boys were just running around yelling, "WE CAN RUN!! WE CAN BE LOUD!! WE CAN JUMP!" I'm so glad to have had the perspective of apartment living- it definitely humbled me- but I'm so glad it's over and we DID IT! We survived and did just fine. But definitely not something I'd ever want to repeat. Little kids deserve to be able to move. I'll never complain or be as picky about a house again. Even though this little house is a weird pink/peach color, the rooms are kinda small and there's a postage-sized backyard with super close neighbors, it's the most beautiful place in the world to me because there isn't 3 flights of stairs to climb while dragging up groceries and kids and the walls are not connected to anyone else!! Everyday I'm just so happy to be alone- meaning, no apartment neighbors ;)

The first thing we did when we got the keys was put up our Christmas tree!! It's halfway through the month and we just barely got it up. There wasn't any room in the apartment so we had a paper tree that hung on the wall that held Christmas cards. The boys and I agree that our "real" tree is much better!


Benson was surprisingly really good about the tree and presents this year!! He hardly touched it and I don't think we had one single present or ornament that was damaged or opened by a baby! I was so surprised!




Ty had Grinch Day for all the 1st graders at school. The kids could dress up as Who-ville characters. He really, really didn't want to be the grinch and it's hard to dress boys up as Who-villes but once I suggested Max the Grinch Dog it was all he could talk about. Good ol' Pinterest came through and showed the idea of masking tape and tinfoil for the antler. I was surprised at how easy it was. He looked good and had a lot of fun dressing up.



The last day of school we had Levi's party to run in the morning and Ty's party to run in the afternoon. We were a little class partied out after that! But the babies did good and they all looked cute in their matching jammies together. 








A typical Shad face.






Target boys


The first Friday night in our new house we found a coupon in the mail for a free pizza so we decided to have a pizza party. We didn't have any utensils or plates and used one small bowl for a cup to drink water but the boys thought it was awesome. Someday I'll laugh thinking I could feed everyone and have a plate left for TJ with a medium pizza and breadsticks. ;)



Saturday the 17th was a big moving day for us. It was rainy and the weekend suddenly turned really cold but we got most of the big things moved since we borrowed a truck. We wanted to sleep in our house that Saturday night and be done with the apartment. After we got the kids in bed I went to take a shower and realized there wasn't any hot water. That began a crazy next 3 days with no heat at all in our house. There was a miscommunication and we weren't told the heat company was a separate utility to call. We had to wait out the weekend and make the best of it! And of course, it was the one weekend Texas temps dropped. It got down to 27 degrees outside!! So that meant our house got down to a whoppin 52 degrees inside! It was cold. That first night around 2 am TJ finally got up and drove to Walmart to buy space heaters. Once he got home they DIDN'T WORK!! So he drove back to Walmart and the lady told him they don't do returns in the middle of the night- exactly the reason why we try to avoid that place at all costs. Finally he got them to return them and got ones that worked. The rest of the weekend we had one in our room and one in the boys' room and they were like little caves of warmth. It felt soooo good since the rest of the house was seriously, freezing. Another thing I don't want to take for granted again- HEAT and WARMTH! I seriously don't know how the pioneers did it. How they must've worried and despaired about keeping their kids warm?!! Anyways, that was our little heating adventure. The funny thing was the only ones that seemed put out about it and all bothered was TJ and I- the kids seemed fine! :) But since then our dishwasher has broken and the washer and dryer that we are renting from an appliance company has leaked- ha. Even though it would've been easier to have just stayed in the apartment for the last 6 months that we are here in Kyle- especially with all the issues with heat and moving and appliances- it is SO worth it to be in a house and in a house for CHRISTMAS!



Amy and Dallin are in Wisconsin for Christmas and she sent me this picture. I think she looks so pretty and I just love these two women. They sum up my mission in so many ways. I guess the Fosters moved back to AF! That makes me so happy and someday, I need take my boys back. 


The beginning of December I buckled down and got serious about what I was eating. I knew it wouldn't last for Christmas but it felt really good to eat so healthy beforehand and made all our Christmas food taste that much better. I lost 7 lbs from post-Thanksgiving to about middle of Dec. It felt amazing and I'm so excited to start it up again after New Years. This is one of my favorite meals- I love just using whole foods that I have and combining things to amke meals. That's one thing I've learned from whole30 and Nufiwa challenges. I gotta get this last 10-15 lbs of baby weight and I've been dragging my feet about it for too long. So, here's to 2017!!

No comments: