Monday, March 7, 2016

IEP and Cousins

This picture doesn't do it justice- he was literally arched over as far as he could go and deep asleep!




We gave Ruth this picture of her mom for her birthday. She was so touched and I think it turned out beautiful. Love good presents that mean so much.

The new Primary Presidency dropped this off last Sunday. The kids all wrote notes thanking us for our service- it was so sweet!! Levi's is the orange one at the bottom left that says I love you. :) 


Since Leap Day was on a Monday we made a time capsule for Family Night. We just filled out these papers I found on a blog and taped them shut inside of a shoe box. The boys thought it was so cool although they had a hard time understanding exactly what a time capsule is and connecting that to an extra day that comes every 4 years. :) Now just to remember four years from now.... it's so crazy to think what life will be like in 2020 yet it'll come so fast! Ty and Levi will be almost 9 and 10 and Shaddie and Benson will be 6 and 4!! Who knows where we'll be living??


10 weeks old

Ty's favorite thing to do in the morning after chores and practicing the piano and while Levi does his computer homework- read by the warm fire. :) I love seeing how much my kids LOVE to read. I'm glad that trait is getting instilled in them. Levi officially is reading as of February- like full-on reading books. I'm quite shocked actually because I haven't really worked with him and he just caught onto it himself. I think it's a combination of high quality preschool early on and being read to every night.

I thought this was sweet. TJ is so good to me.



Last Saturday we went to a U of U PMBA sponsored day at the Leonardo Museum in SLC. They provided lunch and free admission to the museum. The boys were having so much fun when suddenly the fire alarm went off and we all had to exit the building. So we left and went to the newly remodeled Church Museum that was close by. It was awesome and the kids loved it. Ty kept asking so many questions about church history things- it was funny.


Replica of Liberty Jail.

There were so many hands-on things for the kids to do. They even had an entire kids section upstairs with a lot of neat things for the kids to do. I was impressed.




Had to get a picture by President Ezra Taft Benson with little Benson. 

A replica of the podium in the conference center.





11 weeks old and starting to get a big belly!!

Cade and Benson on Cade's blessing day. 


Levi- 4
Shad- 2
Ty- 5
Benson- 2 months
Lawson- 2
Parker- 4
Cade- 2 months


My nephews are pretty adorable if I say so myself...


TJ and his Grandpa Hendriksen


Last Friday was a monumental day. I had an IEP meeting at the local elementary school for Ty since it has been 3 years since his original one (IEP: an Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) is a plan or program developed to ensure that a child who has a disability identified under the law and is attending an elementary or secondary educational institution receives specialized instruction and related services). It's actually taken me since early December to get this meeting set up and all the assessments and evaluations since Ty goes to a private school and he hasn't been getting any services through Alpine School District. We finally had the actual IEP meeting last Friday and I was so curious for what the results would be. His last IEP identified him as needing resource special education for reading, writing, math and speech. That meant that in his 2 1/2 hours in kindergarten he'd get pulled out for all of those each week- missing the majority of class time and being labeled, in my opinion. That was one of the major reasons why we chose to not go to public school and have gone to a private school. 
Anyways, after all their assessments they've officially declared Ty not eligible for any services because he doesn't qualify- meaning he's too high functioning and is no longer recognized by the school district as a special needs child!!  He'll always have the autism diagnosis- that doesn't get changed by anything and you don't outgrow it- but he's learned to overcome and conquer it to be able to function well, abnormally well and way above average. He's in the 90th percentile for reading, writing, math and above average IQ score. They said he has a "brilliant component to him" and that ABA therapy has worked amazingly well for him. The entire meeting was full of praise and awe for him and his progress. They called it a payback day and a rewarding day for us parents. I admit I was holding back tears and several of them were blinking too.  :) They said they wished they had 100 Ty's in their special ed department and he's the perfect example to study and learn from. 

Needless to say I'm so proud of our Ty Ty. I also got this little note from his Kindergarten teacher on the same day. So it was definitely a good mom day! But I'm more grateful to Heavenly Father for leading us along step by step. Looking back to 2012, I feel as if I was like Nephi, not knowing before hand what I was doing or going or what would happen. But I literally felt guided by the Spirit and Heavenly Father one tiny step at a time and look to where it's led us. I'll be eternally grateful for His Hand in my Tyrell's life so early on. And I know this is just the beginning too. 

 Benson's little corner in our room.

The dirty van only adds to it all- I love my new bumper sticker! Normally I'm not one to have anything on our cars but this one describes how I feel about minivans perfectly. 



No comments: