Monday, July 27, 2015

Ty's Surgery

Ty had his tonsils and adenoids removed on Wed. July 22nd. For the last year or two, each doctor that would inspect his mouth would always comment on how huge his tonsils were. Finally, at his 4 year old well check up appointment, the dr. gave us a referral to an ENT to see if they should be removed. Well, there was no question, they needed to come out, especially since he does have some periods of apnea and snores pretty bad. Ages 4-6 is the optimal age to get them out at so here we are! It also made me wonder if his difficulty sleeping that I always attributed to his autism could also be interconnected to his tonsils?? My mom said when my little brother got his out he never wet the bed again and we've been having some of those issues as well :) So we'll see!! Hopefully it makes a difference and we get through it okay!!

Today is day 6 post surgery and it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be! He definitely has been in pain and not himself (more irritable and grumpy) but thank goodness for good medicine! He's had a few different episodes where the pain just hits and he starts screaming, "ow! ow! this hurts so bad!" and he's inconsolable, writhing on the ground. I'll hurry and give him both the Lortab elixir and motrin and after about 20 minutes he's better and it's passed. Then there's other times where he's running around, his normal self and you can't even tell he just had surgery! Days 3-5 are supposed to be the worst and then days 7-10 are rough because those scabs are falling off and there's a small chance of rebleeding. He's been doing awesome with staying hydrated and drinking tons of fluids, eating lots of ice cream and popsicles. It seems like he's eating all day long since those types of foods don't get him very full. I wish he'd eat normal things like soup, broth, scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, etc. 

I was so surprised when he came out he wasn't crying, like all the kids around us (okay, they were screaming!) and didn't even make a peep the whole time we were there. He was very distracted by cartoons on real TV and just quietly ate his popsicle and slushies. The staff at American Fork Hospital were so good to us and I was again, so grateful for the little prep meeting we came to earlier. He had no problems with being NPO before his surgery which was at 8:30 am and zero anxiety driving over and arriving there. Everyone said he was the model patient :) 

Dr. Porter did the surgery and said his tonsils were Grade 3 (the largest are a 4) and showed them to me! It's been a little tricky for me to be home all day and not have things scheduled out completely and out of our normal routine. We haven't done our dailies and they have watched movies or played on the 24/7 all day long- which we've never done before in our lives!! It's hard to tell Levi no and yes to Ty. Levi has a fever blister on his lip so he keeps saying that hurts and he needs medicine and to rest like Ty. :) It'll just be nice to get back to our normal schedule and routine soon!! But overall, Ty's been a trooper and we're almost over this!! Good job Ty!

My mom was so sweet and sent him balloons and a gift from the hospital gift shop. He calls his new dinosaur "Triceratops-ie" and carries it around everywhere. Dr. Porter also gave him a teddy bear with a ribbon that says "Dr. Porter loves me." 

No comments: