Thursday, November 13, 2014

Levi's Procedure

 Last Friday, Levi had to have a meatotomy to fix what's called meatal stenosis. Here's the definition of it:

 Meatal stenosis is an abnormal narrowing of the urethral opening (meatus). If the narrowing becomes significant, urine will have difficulty flowing from the bladder and may cause the bladder to not empty completely. If left untreated, this can lead to urinary tract infections and kidney problems.
Meatal stenosis can be caused from chronic exposure of the irritating effects of urine on the meatus and rubbing of the meatus on a diaper or clothing or irritating effects of diaper rash.


Ever since Lev has been potty trained we've had a little spraying problem- kind of when you put your thumb on a hose. Poor Shaddie's gotten sprayed in the face more than once whenever we're out and about and Levi needs help going potty and I'm holding Shad at the same time, haha. Lev's also sprayed himself in the face before so as you can see, nothing life threatening but definitely something that needed to be fixed!!
The doctor thinks his meatus got a little irritated from a diaper rash sometime when he as wearing diapers and part of the meatus just fused back together. After his 3 year old check up, the pediatrician referred us to a pediatric urologist to fix the problem- just a quick little swipe of the blade and we'd be good to go! But since we had already met our deductible and I didn't want him to remember any of it or be traumatized doing it in the office with just lidocaine, we elected to do it under general anesthesia. I'm so glad we did- it really was so quick, simple and easy for Lev!


Keeping Levi on clear liquids and then NPO was a little tricky for me! Not because he wanted to eat or didn't understand, I was just afraid he'd forget and pop something in his mouth before remembering. So I had to keep eyes on him every second of the day from when he woke up until we were driving. My solution was to keep him up on the kitchen counter with the iPad and his apple juice- it worked great and he didn't mind since I let him watch shows much longer than I usually let him! 

This little Hulk was a lifesaver! I gave it to him right when he woke up the day of the surgery, when I was explaining how he couldn't eat anything for a long time and told him Hulk was going to help him not be afraid and not be hungry- totally worked!!! I also promised afterwards we'd go out for cheese pizza so between that and Hulk, we made it through being NPO!!! 

All the staff at Primary's was soooo good to Lev and totally used superheroes to their advantage in helping him cooperate and not be afraid. They had avenger toys he could play with while he waited and explained things to him so well. I felt so lucky that we lived close to such a competent, incredible children's hospital. I was so proud of Lev- so tears, so polite and could not have been more cooperative. Part of it was that it was such an easy, short procedure- he didn't even need an IV or to be changed into a gown! He was on the RTU- rapid treatment unit and it really was. We were there less than 2 hours- amazing! 


He was so excited to have Cheetos, oreos and an orange slushy as soon as he woke up from the anesthesia. They let him choose what flavor he wanted for the general anesthesia and he was so excited that he got to choose/smell watermelon!!

Oh one funny thing I forgot to mention... when we were dropping Shad off for Ruth to watch him, Levi started crying when we were walking back to the car to leave. I just assumed it was because he wanted to stay and play with Parker who was there and/or he was scared to go to the hospital. When I asked him what was wrong he said, "I don't want to give Shaddie away! I LOVE Shaddie!" haha. I kept trying to explain we were coming back but he just didn't believe it and kept saying, "I want to keep Shaddie!"


Even though he looks like he's in pain, he really was fine and just excited to get a ride in the wheelchair!

He was sooo excited to finally eat his cheese pizza! It was a fun little date with my Levie!


Ty almost made it to the couch, walking in from getting off the school bus! Some days he's just soooo tired!!

The classic sunglasses picture!


Could this be any comfier?? Looks like he's sleeping on heaven- wish they had grown up beds like that! I'd be asleep before my head hit the pillow...




No comments: