Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Shad's Name


Some people have commented on Shad's name as being unique or wondering where it came from. It's actually comes from my 5th great grandpa- Shadrach Roundy. 

I've grown up my whole life hearing stories about him since he was a pretty incredible man. In fact, ever since I was 12 years old, I've wanted to name a son after him and wrote it in multiple journals lists for my future kids' names with that name included at the very top. When I was on my mission, I was a little disappointed when I found out my aunt named her son Shadrach and so I thought it had be taken and no long available. :) 

When we found out this was boy #3 we struggled with a name for almost the entire 9 months. Of course I have several girl names and seriously thought this one was a girl. Surprise! TJ has always liked that name as well and thought it went well with Ty and Levi. About a month ago my aunt called me and strongly encouraged me to use the name and reassured me of what a neat tribute to our family that it would be. She's one of my favorite aunts and it meant a lot to me. Plus I have a huge family with 50+ cousins and now that we are all having kids it's inevitable that some names will be repeated. So as his birth came nearer and no other names surfaced, Shad just became the name without any other options. 

Shadrach Roundy is mentioned in Doctrine and Covenants 124:141 and was involved in some of the leadership of the Saints during Palmyra, Kirtland, Nauvoo and in settling Salt Lake. He was also Joseph Smith's body guard and saved his life several times. Each of their journals mentions the deep friendship and loyalty they shared. He also was the first man to plow the Great Salt Lake and crossed the plains five times to help bring the Saints across. He lived his entire life in service to others and was a diligent and true disciple of Christ. He lived from 1789-1872. 

Anyways, obviously his middle name is my maiden name and a name that we've always been taught to respect and keep honorable. I was a little sad to give it up when I got married since it means a lot to me in ways that I can't express well in words. So if I never have a girl then this is my way of naming a kid after me. :)

So this is the reason for little Shad Wengert Hendriksen! 

Can't get enough of his squishiness!!

1 comment:

Gates Family said...

Love this!!! Congrats on such a sweet little boy! What makes this even more neat for me, is that Shadrach Roundy is MY kids 5th Great Grandfather, also. It is such a 'small' world.