Saturday, November 2, 2013

Trials


Last week my sister, Jessie, got hit by a car while crossing the street. She's on a LDS mission in England and her and her companion were late to an appointment. Her companion crossed first and then she waited for a car to cross and then ran out. I guess it was on a hill and a car suddenly came out of nowhere. She was struck on her right side, completely smashed the entire windshield and was unconscious for several minutes. She said she didn't remember much of what happened and was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance. She spent 5 hours in the ER and miraculously, no broken bones or other significant injuries!! She's pretty sore and banged up but still as happy and crazy and outgoing as she's always been. My mom talked to her on the day of the accident and of course, Jess made it sound like it wasn't that big of deal. We found out later just how serious it could've been and how grateful we are for her protection. She's so funny- she mentioned several times how grateful she was that "Heavenly Father took the hit for me!" She also talked about the Book of Mormon in the ambulance and at the hospital and is planning on visiting the lady who hit her this week. 

We were just so shocked that yet again, another car accident happened in our family!! I joke that Wengerts and cars don't mix. That means in the last 3 1/2 years, 7 out of my parent's 8 kids have been in some sort of car accident! But even more than the shock was overwhelming gratitude that she was okay and protected. Just another tender mercy and absolutely knowledge that Heavenly Father is watching over us. 

This incident and a comment made by one of sister in laws has gotten me reflecting on the life experiences we all have and trials we each go through. We were talking about our kids' first halloween costumes and I mentioned that I didn't get to take Ty trick or treating because that was when my little cousin Matthew was kicked by a horse and died- of course we were at the funeral instead. Ginger remarked that the way I remember things is by which tragedy took place and when. :) Sometimes it does kinda feel like my family has had our "fair share" of hard times the last few years but I also think of how much we've grown from each one of those. Besides, how can we ever compare or rate each others' trials? 

Dallin's Accident- May 2013

Grandma Wengert's funeral- June 2010


I also randomly found a blog that got me hooked (I love finding good blogs to follow, usually of people I don't even know) and I realized what makes me want to keep reading more is that they all have experienced some sort of tragedy or trial in their life that they continually learn from, look back on and share their feelings about amidst the daily life that continues on after the hardship has passed. The most recent one is a blog of a cute little family- a young couple, our age, that lost their 18 month old little girl back in 2010 to a tragic drowning accident while they were on a date night at the movies. They got THE phone call- just thinking about that makes me shiver since I've gotten 2 of those in my life so far but neither had to do with my very own children (the two were when my grandma and 4 siblings were in a car accident on 6/6/10 and Dallin's accident on 5/30/13). Those phone calls are moments your heart stops, time stands still and you will never forget them for the rest of your life. I sat in tears reading all about the accident, the week they spent at Primary's, and when she took a turn for the worst and left this earth life. I just can't imagine going through that!!!! My heart aches for her. Later on this family is blessed with a little boy and then shortly after twin boys! She continually talks about her oldest daughter and how much apart of their life she still is. I just keep thinking of what that would be like- to lose your child like that- and that that particular circumstance was what that family needed to go through. 

Of course, I've always known these general thoughts about trials but it just hit me that really, our trials are all the same- they just come in different forms. We all think our hearts will break and we can't go on. We struggle to understand why and look forward to brighter days ahead.

Some lose their 18 month old child under someone else's watch, some struggle with infertility, some have a 23 week old premie in the NICU and after six months have to choose to take him off life support, some have an autistic child and a newborn at the same time while working full time, some are older in life and wish they could find the right one to marry, some have a tiny newborn daughter rushed into emergency open heart surgery, some lose their mom to cancer at the age of 16, some people's husband are in a horrible car accident that leaves him with a traumatic brain injury and unknown future- I could go on and on. These are just some people I think of right off the bat and who I admire for their courage, example and strength in the midst of the fire.

The point is, we're all the same. Here on earth, struggling with this earth life at times, trying to understand why things happen the way they do and to keep the faith and hope alive. It's like the parable of the hidden talents- some were given more than others but that's not the point. It's the same with our trials. It all depends on what we do with them. 

And as life goes on, I sure hope I can remember that and keep that perspective, no matter what else comes. :)

This is my very favorite quote of all time:

“Don’t give up. Don’t you quit. You keep 

walking. You keep trying. There is help and 

happiness ahead. You keep your chin up. It 

will be all right in the end. Trust God and 

believe in good things to come. Some blessings

come soon, some come late, and some don't come

until heaven; but for those who embrace

the gospel of Jesus Christ, they come."

-Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

No comments: